Who is Eligible to Apply?
- Any student in grades 9-12 who is enrolled in a public, private or parochial high school or home study program in the United States.
- Maximum student age of 18 at time of local entry.
- Student must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national.
- Applicant does not have to be related to a VFW or VFW Auxiliary member to participate, but the student must attend school in the same state as the sponsoring VFW Auxiliary.
What is the Scholarship Amount?
- The first-place winner from each state competes for national awards totaling $21,000.
What are the Scholarship Submission Requirements?
- Art must be on paper or canvas. Water color, pencil, pastel, charcoal, tempera, crayon, acrylic, pen-and-ink or oil may be used.
- Digital art and photography is NOT ACCEPTED.
- Submit canvas entries on stretcher frames or canvas board; other entries must be matted on white.
- Do not frame.
- Art should be no smaller than 8” x 10” but no larger than 18” x 24,” not including the mat.
- Complete entry form and attach to back of entry.
- Submit a typed explanation of patriotism expressed in art (150 words or less).
What are the Scholarship Deadlines?
- March 31: Student Entry Deadline to Local VFW Auxiliary.*
- April 10: Local VFW Auxiliary and District Judging Complete.
- April 15: Local VFW Auxiliary and District Winners to Department (state) for Judging.*
- May 5: VFW Auxiliary Department (state) Winners to VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters.*
* required deadlines