Webmaster/Past Post Commander/VOD - Army
Max Gutierrez is a former Post Commander of our Post and continues to support our efforts as the Chairman for our Voice of Democracy and Patriot's Pen scholarship programs. In addition, he serves as our Flag Retirement Chairman, and in any other capacity we need him in!
Max joined the Army and served from 1980-2002 in a variety of career fields to include:
- A Parachute Infantryman with the 82nd Airborne Division where he distinguished himself by earning the distinction of Trooper of the Year (1981) for the 3rd Brigade. He also volunteered to deploy with the 1st Battalion 505th PIR to serve as the First Peacekeeper unit in the Sinai Desert for 6 months in 1982.
- A Weapons and Operations & Intelligence Sergeant with the 5th Special Forces Group, where he distinguished himself on an A-Team, by earning the distinction of NCO of the Year (1985) for the 5th SFG, completed his 2-year degree, and achieving the rank of Staff Sergeant.
- Attended a 2-year ROTC program at Campbell University NC, graduating and receiving his commission in the Regular Army as a Tank Officer.
- An M1A1 Abrams Tank Platoon Leader with the 1st Armored Division in West Germany during the Cold War.
- Selected to lead the 4th Bn 70th Armor's Infantry Mortar Platoon where he served in Iraq during Operation Desert Storm.
- Branched transferred to the Military Police where he commanded the 204th MP Company deploying to Haiti for Operation Restore Democracy.
- Selected to train and serve as a Eurasian Foreign Area Officer (48E), attending Russian language school at DLI in Monterrey, Graduate School in Washington State, and training as a Senior Fellow at the George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, and as an investigator with the Joint US-Russia POW/MIA commission for 5 months in Moscow Russia.
- Served as an INF and START Treaty nuclear weapons inspector in Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan.